lørdag 5. juli 2014

Reverse Culture Shock

That's what they call it when you've gotten so used to the culture in your host country that the customs in your native country strike you as foreign or unnatural. I've been back in Norway for almost a month, and it's been pretty good. People don't really say "hi" or "how are you" to everyone here, which is weird. I'm trying to bring a little bit bit of the warmth I received at VVS back here.

I went to Pride. I haven't really done any homework yet, and since I'm going back to VVS in 40 days, I'm starting to stress out about it a little bit. In fact, I should be doing homework right now, but here are my reasons not to: Making my quest to finish my homework during Summer Break public might make it more likely, this is somewhat productive procrastination, and I felt I needed to post at least one blog post over the summer. In your face, responsibility. In fact, the amount of homework I have strikes me as so daunting that I find it less scary to look at colleges and universities. To me, deciding my future is really terrifying when it's not compared to IB coursework. As it is, the future shall be decided upon presently. I think I might have found a few schools I'm interested in going to, which I consider as a victory. Now that I've done that, I don't have much productive procrastination in the way of starting my papers.

For some reason, research papers have always terrified me. Give me a test and I'll handle it just fine. A DBQ? Okay. An oral presentation in my second or third language? No problem. But asking me to write a paper is an entirely different story, this inspires in me paralyzing fear of failure. I try telling myself it will be okay, but I'm always afraid of starting and so I never start before the end. Now I'm going to change this. Away from the time- and energy-consuming campus of VVS, with no distractions, I will overcome my fear of research papers and just do it. At least that's what I'm telling myself. This is also where we pretend that I don't have to work almost every day until I return to school. Thankfully I'm working night shifts.

Will I finish my homework? Over the summer I'm supposed to finish my Research Investigation (which I never really started at school), do my Extended Essay (because I know I'd rather prioritize other things, such as having incredible conversations, once I'm back on campus), and at the very least do the research for my Anthropology Internal Assessment, because I'm planning on conducting it in Norway. That is all. Here is a list I made with reasons for me to do my homework over the summer:

  • Sense of Completion 
  • Fear of failure is just that - a fear, it's valid but not real
  • I'll have more time to spend on good things later
  • I told people I would (now this one is even more real)
  • It will be a burden off my shoulders
  • I get to exercise my brain and work my English 
There it is, in public. Now I really have to do it. Meanwhile, have photos. 

Work

Plains yes! 

Occasionally very pretty here

How I like to spend my free time


OSLO





Bubble Tea Yes



Pre-storm selfie

During/post storm

PRIDE

3 am

Went back to my middle school and took a selfie. Look at me now, middle school.


Summer love,

Ingrid



Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar